DutchAmsterdam.nl — One of the most frequently asked question we receive at Dutch Amsterdam is: Where is Amsterdam?
Well, Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands, a country in North-Western Europe.
The Netherlands is better known as ‘Holland.’ But Holland is actually the name of a region which today consists of the country’s two Western-most provinces.
From the 10th to the 16th century Holland was one region known as the County of Holland. It was part of the Dutch Republic. But by the 17th century — the country’s Golden Age — Holland had risen to become a maritime and economic power, dominating the other provinces.
Ships from around the world sailed to and from Amsterdam, in Holland. Since at the time the country was officially known as ‘Republic of the Seven United Netherlands’ (later: Kingdom of the Netherlands) the name Holland stuck.
Anyway, here’s the big picture:
The blue area is Europe.
The Netherlands is bordered by Belgium in the South, Germany in the East and the Northsea in the North and West.
Amsterdam is located in the South of the province of North Holland:
Amsterdam on Google Maps
Explore this map of Amsterdam.
Amsterdam on Video
- Amsterdam is the largest city in the Netherlands
- Amsterdam is the capital of the Netherlands (while The Hague is the seat of government)
- Amsterdam is the financial and cultural capital of the Netherlands
- Amsterdam ranks 13th on Mercer’s Best Cities in the World list 
- Amsterdam ranks 3rd in innovation on 2thinknow’s Innovation Cities™ Top 100 Index 
Do not republish or repost.