What is the weather like in Amsterdam in February?
DutchAmsterdam.nl — February is the coldest month throughout the Netherlands, and the coldest time of the year to spend in Amsterdam.
The average high temperature is 6° Celsius (42.8° Fahrenheit), and the average low temperature is 0.5° Celsius (32.9° Fahrenheit).
The wind chill factor usually makes the feels like temperature 3-4 degrees colder.
The good news is that February is one of the driest months, second only to April which normally sees the smallest amount of rainfall.
Thus far the winter of 2018-2019 has been rather mild, by the way. We did have some snow on the ground for a couple of days in December, but none in January. February has even seen spring-like weather.
Amsterdam February Weather Forecast
As a service to our visitors we update this page with current weather forecasts throughout the month of February.
We have had a remarkable mild weather — including some spring-like temperatures!
Thursday, February 21, 2019 We were promised cloudy weather with sunny intervals, but got overcast and scattered drizzle or rain showers instead. Supposedly it will remain (mostly) dry after about 1 pm. Today’s high temperature is a steady 9° Celsius (48.2° Fahrenheit) throughout the day.
Friday, February 22, 2019 Mostly overcast, with possibly some sunny spells in the late afternoon. No rain. Afternoon high: 12° Celsius (53.6° Fahrenheit) — and no wind chill factor.
Saturday, February 23, 2019 Sunny from about mid-morning through late afternoon. No rain. The afternoon high temperature of 12° Celsius (53.6° Fahrenheit) feels like it as well.
Sunday, February 24, 2019 Abundantly sunny through mid-afternoon, followed by sunny intervals through early evening. Afternoon high around 11° Celsius (51.8° Fahrenheit). No rain.
Monday, February 25, 2019 Sunny intervals in the morning and late afternoon, and abundantly sunny in between. No rain. But the North Eastern wind brings slightly lower temperatures, with an afternoon high of about 8° Celsius (46.4° Fahrenheit) — along with a slight wind chill factor.
Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Overcast most of the day, and cloudy from about mid-afternoon onward. No rain, though. Afternoon high around 7° Celsius (44.6° Fahrenheit).
Long Term Forecast
Wednesday, February 27, 2019 through Wednesday, March 6, 2019: Good chance (60%) that the predominantly dry and fairly mild weather pattern will hang around. However, the daily precipitation chance gradually increases to about 40%. Still, what wonderful weather for this time of the year!
Where our weather information comes from
Our weather information is based on long-term averages as reported by various meteorological services, including the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI).
Average Low And High Temperatures in February
|Normal Average Low and High Temperatures in February in Amsterdam|
|February 1-10||1° Celsius (33.8° Fahrenheit)||6° Celsius (42.8° Fahrenheit)|
|February 11-20||-0.2° Celsius (31.64° Fahrenheit)||5.4° Celsius (41.72° Fahrenheit)|
|February 21-28||0.7° Celsius (33.26° Fahrenheit)||Max. 6.5° Celsius (43.7° Fahrenheit)|
Things To Do
Even in February, lots of tourists visit Amsterdam. Book museums, excursions and activities ahead of time:
Hotel prices are relatively low during this time of the year. Take advantage by booking your hotel as early as possible.
Remember Valentine’s Day: Wednesday, February 14.
Ice skating on the canals of Amsterdam?
Normally in February the average day-time temperature in Amsterdam is 2.4º Celsius (36.32º Fahrenheit) – but wind and fog (and yes, storm) can make it feel much colder than that.
The nights are very cold, with temperatures usually below freezing.
Amsterdam weather in February isn’t quite the same from year to year, though.
In 2012 during the second week of February we had a deep-freeze the likes of which we had not experienced in about ten years. People were ice skating on the canals of Amsterdam (video). (And take a look at wintery Amsterdam as seen from the air).
February of 2013 — 2016 brought no such skating opportunities.
There’s a lot to see and do in Amsterdam any time of the year.
That’s why tourists visit all year round.
The winter of early 2014 was one of the mildest since the Dutch started keeping a record of the weather — in 1706. Mind you, it was still cold, but not nearly as cold as normal. And no, no ice skating on the canals whatsoever.
February 2017 was mild and quite somber, and the ice skates stayed in the closet.
Anyway, on average in February you can expect 78 hours of sunshine in Amsterdam, compared to 51 in January and 42 in December. But don’t make the mistake of thinking sunny days are warm. They’re sunny and cold.
What to wear in Amsterdam in February
When you visit Amsterdam during the month of February bring warm clothes, including long-sleeved sweaters, sweats, and a winter proof coat or jacket.
Thermal underwear is not a luxury. Neither are leggings, warm socks and padded insoles.
Come prepared to dress in layers, because coffee houses, coffeeshops, restaurants, café’s and homes will be cozily warm.
- If you prefer to travel light you can always pick up a pair of earmuffs, along with knitted winter gear (hats, scarfs, mittens) at downtown souvenir shops. For inexpensive basic warm undies shop at any HEMA or Zeeman department store. You’ll find a HEMA right inside Amsterdam Central Station
- The trees are still bare, allowing a much better view of the gabled canal-side houses than you get during spring and summer. Take advantage of a sunny day for a canal tour (See the photography/filming tip there). If you prefer to walk along the canals, walk on the shadow side so you can take photos of the sunny side.
- When you explore the city, steer clear of fast-food outlets, and instead warm up at a café or two. Here’s how the locals do it. And, for the love of coffee, stay away from Starbucks.
Amsterdam Weather Facts: February
• Average lows: -1° C (30.2° F)
• Average highs: 5.5° C (42° F)
Sunrise & Sunset
• February 1 – 8:22 a.m. / 5:27 p.m.
• February 28 – 7:31 a.m. / 6:17 p.m.
• Average 44mm (1.7 inches) in 72 hours
Suffice it to say that he knows when to stay indoors with a freshly brewed cup of coffee, some jazz and soul on the radio, and a pot of chili on the stove.
Visit Anton Hein dot com for photos of Amsterdam.
Do not republish or repost.