Compiled from the favourite trips of National Geographic’s travel writers, Journeys of a Lifetime spans the globe to highlight the best of the world’s most famous and lesser known places. One of them is the Dappermarkt in Amsterdam, outlined as a “true people’s market”.
In the latest issue (November/December 2007) of the travel magazine, National Geographic Traveler, you’ll find the Top 10 shopping streets in the world.
The Dappermarkt, last year announced as best market in the Netherlands, is listed as world’s best shopping street number 8.
Top 10 Best Shopping Streets:
- Hell’s Kitchen Flea Market, New York City
- Plaza Dorrego, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Temple Street Night Market, Hong Kong, China
- Patpong Night Market, Bangkok, Thailand
- Chandni Chowk, Delhi, India
- Grand Bazaar, Istanbul, Turkey
- Navigli Antique Market, Milan, Italy
- Dappermarkt, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Les Puces, Paris, France
- Portobello Road, London, England
Authentic Amsterdam street market
In the Dapperstraat you find today’s authentic Amsterdam street market. National Geographic wrote; “Venture off the tourist track to the “true people’s market,” situated right in the middle of Amsterdam’s multicultural area. Peruse an incredible diversity of clothes, food, and exotic goods at great prices on more than 250 stalls put up and taken down every day.”
Visit the Dappermarkt yourself. Take tram 9 or 14 and stop at the Eerste van Swindenstraat. Or visit the website, www.dappermarkt.nl
Book: Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World”s Greatest Trips
– Source: Press Room, IAmsterdam.com
Last updated CET (Central European Time)
Do not republish or repost.