Save Money, Time, and Hassle with Amsterdam’s City Card
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of contents
- Save Money, Time, and Hassle with Amsterdam’s City Card
- What is Included in the I amsterdam City Card?
- The City Card Also Covers Tours, Museums, Excursions and More in Metropolitan Amsterdam
- Free App and Detailed Amsterdam Map
- I amsterdam City Card Price vs Value
- Buy the I amsterdam City Card
- Which I amsterdam City Card Should I Get?
- City Card Options: 1 – 5 Days
- Will I save money with the I amsterdam city card?
- The Savings of the I amsterdam City Card Quickly Add Up
- Frequently Asked Questions About the Amsterdam City Card
- Would We Buy The City Card Ourselves?
- What is ‘I amsterdam’? And Where Did the famous Sign Go?
What is Included in the I amsterdam City Card?
The 2022 version of the I amsterdam City Card (yes, with a lower letter ‘a’) is a pass that gets you:
- Free access to over 70 of Amsterdam’s museums and other major highlights
- Unlimited citywide public transport: bus, tram, and metro 1
- Free canal boat cruise [Amsterdam’s most popular tourist attraction]
- Free 24-hour bicycle rental [Amsterdam is the City of Bikes]
- Free visit to the Amsterdam Royal Zoo ARTIS
- Free visit to the A’DAM LOOKOUT observation deck for panoramic views of Amsterdam and beyond. (For an additional fee you can take a ride on Europe’s highest swings, in which you literally swing over the edge of the 100 meters high building)
- Free This is Holland 5D Flight Experience — a simulated helicopter ride that gives you a pilot’s view of the Netherlands’ major sights
- Free visit to Hortus Botanicus, one of the oldest botanical gardens in the world
- Many other museums, tours, excursions, activities, and more…
The City Card Also Covers Tours, Museums, Excursions and More in Metropolitan Amsterdam
The many additional benefits of the I amsterdam City Card include tours, museums, excursions, and more in the most popular tourist attractions just outside of Amsterdam. For instance:
- Free ferry ride to Zaanse Schans — a open air museum neighborhood near Amsterdam, with a row of working windmills (which you can visit for free with your pass), historic wooden houses (all lived in), various museums, a clog making demonstration, and much more
- Free visit to the well-preserved, medieval Muiderslot castle (Unesco listed)
- Free visit to the fortress island Pampus, commissioned in 1895 (also a Unesco World Heritage Site)
- A free ferry ride to either Pampus or Muiderslot
- Free ferry cruise between the authentic fishing villages of Volendam and Marken
- Free bike rental in and around Volendam. See dikes, green fields, cheese farms, windmills…
Various freebies and discounts on food, snacks, and activities are also included.
Free App and Detailed Amsterdam Map
The I amsterdam City Card comes with a free app (Android and iPhone) that helps you plan your visits. It includes a detailed map of Amsterdam that provides essential information on more than 130 places of interest.
The app highlights nightlife areas, as well as notable clubs, pubs, and coffee shops. Amsterdam’s most popular restaurants are sorted by category.
You can create a list of favorites, and you can even share your Amsterdam experiences with friends via Facebook and Twitter.
I amsterdam City Card Price vs Value
The Amsterdam City Card comes in 5 levels, from 24 – 120 hours (1 – 5 days). It ranges in price from €65 – €135 (± $73 – $153 | ± £54 – £112).
Over 93% of verified buyers say they are satisfied, with many reviews mentioning the card represents good value for the money.
The savings quickly add up, but the best value is a multiple-day card.
Buy the I amsterdam City Card
Which I amsterdam City Card Should I Get?
In general, you’ll want to get a multiple-day I amsterdam city card in order to get the most out of it.
After all, you may want to visit the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the Stedelijk Museum, and the windmills at the Zaansche Schans2 all within one day while taking a canal cruise in between — but you’d have to be crazy to try and do so.
City Card Options: 1 – 5 Days
The City Card is available in 5 versions:
|I amsterdam City Card||Price (Tax included)|
|24 hours (1 day)||€65|
|48 hours (2 days)||€90|
|72 hours (3 days)||€110|
|96 hours (4 days)||€125|
|120 hours (5 days)||€135|
The City Card is activated when you first use it, be that in public transport, a museum, or another attraction. For instance, if you board a tram using your 24 hours I amsterdam City Card, the card is activated, and will be valid for the next 24 hours.
Will I save money with the I amsterdam city card?
How much money the card will save you depends on how many of its benefits you will realistically use. But over 93% of people who used the card say they’re satisfied.
Reviewers usually highlight both the savings (“Good value for the money”) and the convenience of the pass (Read the reviews).
The Savings of the I amsterdam City Card Quickly Add Up
Note that without the City Card a canal cruise can easily set you back €19 and up.
A visit to one of the top museums in Amsterdam normally costs about €20.00
A one day bike rental starts around €18.00
Add the cost of public transport (and, face it, the hassle of figuring out its ticket system) and getting the City Card is a no-brainer.
Outdated guidebooks may talk about the I amsterdam card, or the I Amsterdam Pass instead of the current name: I amsterdam City Card
Frequently Asked Questions About the Amsterdam City Card
Unfortunately, the City Card does not include entrance to the Anne Frank House.
Due to the pandemic, you must reserve timed entry access at each venue. The app that accompanies the card makes that very easy to do.
In most places you do not have to wear a face mask. Each venue limits the number of visitor and takes other precautions. You are welcome to wear a mask if you wish.
Would We Buy The City Card Ourselves?
Given that we live in Amsterdam we do not need such a pass ourselves.
However, when we host friends and family members from abroad, we always recommend they get the I amsterdam City Pass.
That way they can make the most of their city break without also breaking the bank. Most of them even buy the card again each time they visit.
And yes, were we the ones visiting this wonderful city, we’d certainly get our own passes as well.
This article was last updated Saturday, October 2, 2021 – 7:41 PM CET. We added a section on price vs. value. We also updated the I amsterdam City Card pricing section to include prices in dollars and pounds, instead of only in euros.
What is ‘I amsterdam’? And Where Did the famous Sign Go?
Why, I amsterdam is the city’s hugely successful marketing slogan.
Too successful, as it turned out… which is why those famous, giant ‘I amsterdam’ letters were removed from Museumplein.
Overtourism got blamed, but every Amsterdammer knows it was a prime example of gesture politics by by the GroenLinks (GreenLinks) party.
Do not republish or repost.
GetYourGuide is our Trusted Ticket PartnerWhy stand in line during your vacation? Beat the crowds by booking Amsterdam Tours, Skip the Line Tickets, Museums, Excursions and Activities online.
Your GetYourGuide Ticket Advantage:
Authorized Ticket Seller
Verified legal tour operators
Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
Skip-the-Line (if available)