January in Amsterdam
Amsterdam is beautiful any time of the year, and January is no exception — provided you dress for the occasion.
According to the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI1), January is the coldest month in most of the Netherlands. Along the sea coast February is slightly colder yet, when the water of the North Sea is at its coldest.
Normal Amsterdam weather in January is like this: the average temperature is 2.7º Celsius (36.68º Fahrenheit). That’s cold, especially when there’s a stiff wind. It’s a rainy month as well.
You can also expect anywhere from five to eight days of snow — which looks wonderful.
Amsterdam Weather Forecast for January 2021
As a service to our readers we update this weather forecast throughout the month of January.
Keep in mind that the feels-like temperature (windchill factor) tends to be 3-6 degrees lower than the values listed.
Sunday, January 17, 2021 Yesterday’s light covering of snow has disappeared overnight. Mostly cloudy in the morning. Sunny spells — gradually increasing from about 35% sunshine shortly before noon to some 70% sunshine around mid afternoon. There’s a 30% probability of a scattered light rain showers from just before mid afternoon through about mid evening. Sunset is at 16:58 (4:58 p.m). Afternoon temperature 7° Celsius (44.6° Fahrenheit).
Monday, January 18, 2021 Sunny spells (with about 50-70% sunshine) from mid morning through sunset. Small chance (about 30%) of light rain around noon and most of the early afternoon. Mid afternoon high temperature 6° Celsius (42.8° Fahrenheit).
Tuesday, January 19, 2021 This day is marked by scattered light rain showers that start just before midnight, and last until the late afternoon. So, a mostly overcast day, with an afternoon high of 10° Celsius (50° Fahrenheit). The rain starts up again in the late evening.
Wednesday, January 20, 2021 The scattered light rain showers that started before midnight will have lasted through the night, and well be with us until well into the early evening. Expect a high temperature of 9° Celsius (48.2° Fahrenheit) for most of the day.
Thursday, January 21, 2021 Scattered light rain showers from well before daybreak until about mid afternoon. Daytime high around 8° Celsius (46.4° Fahrenheit).
Friday, January 22, 2021 Sunny intervals with about 80% sunshine from early morning until sunset. No rain or other precipitation. Afternoon high 6° Celsius (42.8° Fahrenheit).
Saturday, January 23, 2021 Sunny intervals from early morning through sunset. No rain or other wet stuff. Early afternoon high temperature 6° Celsius (42.8° Fahrenheit).
Long Term Forecast
Sunday, January 24, 2021 — Sunday, January 31, 2021: Fairly high probability (about 70%) that we’ll have changeable weather. Temperatures will likely be around or above the long-term average for this time of the year. The chance of a colder weather pattern with occasionally some (wet) snow is about 30%.
See what Amsterdam’s February weather is like.
Where our weather information comes from
Our weather information is based on long-term averages as reported by various meteorological services, including the Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute (KNMI).
Average Low and High Temperatures in January
|Normal Average Low and High Temperatures in January in Amsterdam|
|January 1-10||0.3° Celsius (32.54° Fahrenheit)||5.1° Celsius (41.18° Fahrenheit)|
|January 11-20||0.9° Celsius (33.62° Fahrenheit)||5.7° Celsius (42.26° Fahrenheit)|
|January 21-31||0.7° Celsius (33.26° Fahrenheit)||5.5° Celsius (41.9° Fahrenheit)|
Average Amount of Sun and Rain
In January you can expect an average of 1.5 hours of sunshine a day, and a total of 60 mm (2.4 inch) of rain during the entire month.
Things To Do in Amsterdam in January
Even in January, lots of tourists visit Amsterdam. Book museums, excursions and activities ahead of time:
Hotel prices are relatively low during this time of the year. Take advantage by booking your hotel as early as possible.
Sunshine — but not much
On average there will be 50 hours of sunshine — spread out over the entire month.
That said, while you may see many gray and gloomy days, from time to time there will be several hours worth of blue, cloudless skies. When that happens grab the opportunity to take postcard-perfect photographs of Amsterdam’s sunlit streets and canals.
Since the trees are bare, many canal-side façades that normally are somewhat hidden from view by the foliage are now more easy to see.
Cold or Mild
Mind you, we’re talking averages here. January can be much colder or much milder. January 2007 was so mild that if confused birds, plants and trees into acting like it was spring. Conversely, January 2010 turned out to be one of the snowiest in a long time.
January 2014 was very mild, as was the entire year. (In fact, 2014 was the warmest year since the weather service started keeping track three centuries ago).
2018 brought us a rather mild January, with hardly any snow (we had a huge snow storm in the previous December, one for the record books) — with high temperatures well above those normal for the month.
Is it global warming? Who knows, but January 2019 was yet another rather mild one. There was one day of snow, though.
As always, go with the flow. Plan to see some of Amsterdam’s many museums during inclement weather.
Tip: Films shown in Dutch movie theaters are shown in their original languages — subtitled in Dutch.
What to wear in Amsterdam in January
Protect your shoes with a waterproof spray.
Salt spots can be removed with a cloth and some vinegar.
Warm clothes are a must, and you will want to wear a winter proof/waterproof coat or jacket.
A good, windproof hat is not a luxury and no one will look at you funny if you happen to be wearing earmuffs.
Complete you outfit with a warm scarf and gloves.
Don’t forget warm socks and padded insoles.
As always, dress in layers because restaurants, café’s and homes are well-heated.
Amsterdam weather facts: January
• Average lows: -0.5° C (31° F)
• Average highs: 4.4° C (40° F)
Sunrise & Sunset
• January 1 – 8:51 a.m. / 4:38 p.m.
• December 31 – 8:24 a.m. / 5:26 p.m.
• Average 72mm (2.8 inches) in 72 hours
The weather during other months
Would you rather visit us during another time of the year? Check the weather page roundup, which includes details about our climate during the other months of the year.
- Koninklijk Nederlands Meteorologisch Instituut, Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute ↩
Do not republish or repost.
GetYourGuide is our Trusted Ticket PartnerWhy stand in line during your vacation? Beat the crowds by booking Tours, Skip the Line Tickets, Museums, Excursions and Activities online.
Your GetYourGuide Ticket Advantage:
Authorized Ticket Seller
Verified legal tour operators
Printed or Mobile Voucher Accepted
Skip-the-Line (if available)